reading, watching, thinking

I've been home just over a week and it has been a blissful sort of boredom. Early bedtimes and long runs and a lot of reading and much else. I've consumed a lot of good things, so here we go! Enjoy!



Reading:
Mid-term I read Such A Fun Age, which was easy but also super interesting exposing a sort of white-feminism-girl-boss-saviour-complex. It felt very current, and was funny in parts, and was just a good side read as I ate breakfast or before I fell asleep. 
I devoured On Earth We Are Briefly Gorgeous in the first three days of being home. It was shattering and raw, but so beautifully written. It was perhaps occasionally a little dominated by a 'stream of consciousness-esque' narrative, but much of it was just breath taking. It explores the legacies of migration and war, sexuality and the drug epidemic in America. It is written in the form of a letter to the narrators mother, exposing the things he never felt he could. I think I'd like to re-read it just to get a real sense of the language and poetry. 
Now I am reading The Shadow King. It seems to be a modern (and real!) take on the Madeleine Miller feminist re-telling of Greek myths. It focusses on women in the Ethiopian-Italian war of the 1930s. Again, it is beautifully written and the characters have that skilful complexity of being simultaneously good and bad. There is a lot of foreshadowing, which I feel I haven't read in a while, and I love the way the narrative jumps perspective between the chapters. I shall report back. 
Obvs also so much reading for uni, inc. the sequel to Slavenka Drakulic's 'How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed', which I just happened to stumble upon whilst in Amnesty International yesterday. How fortuitous. My brother disdainfully commented this morning, 'god, is reading all you do?', and honestly at the moment, it is. But I suppose that it is the price you gotta pay!

Watching: 
I devoured Emily in Paris, which I hated and loved. Honestly, I'm craving the second series. I also, like everyone else, adored Queen's Gambit, which successfully portrayed chess as the sexiest game ever. Who knew! The Crown was wonderful, even though I only jumped in at the current Diana series. Although I controversially didn't think Gilian Anderson played a very good Thatcher. My heart broke for Diana, which was evidently the intention, and I realised I am partial to a posh man with a signet ring – which is a partiality that needs to quashed quickly. 
I've also been watching a ridiculous amount of Grackle, purely for the Christmas cooking content, and Helena Rose for the intuitive eating and positive food energy. Perfect in time for Christmas and all the bullshit insta content that is telling us how to not gain weight. Fuck off.  

Listening:
In terms of working entertainment, I am enjoying both this Christmas carol playlist and this one. My MT20 'body in the library playlist' still seems to kind of slap, and makes me happily nostalgic. 
For non-work, my 'time in between' playlist brings me a lot of joy – but mostly I am just listening to 'If It Wasn't For the Night' by ABBA on repeat

Feeling:
Honestly, pretty good. I had a very happy evening playing cards with my family and laughing. I perhaps feel a little resentful of the workload over Christmas (who sets an extended essay due January, after a term of relentless work?), but it also keeps me busy and thinking. I am feeling a little anxious about after, and the conflict between what I want to do and what I can realistically do. But I am hoping they will marry up. I am feeling a little challenged by food, but that always seems to happen when I come home, and distanced from and alien to my home friends – but again, what is to be expected?
Really, I just want to dance until 4am and be sweaty and achey again. Please?!

Doing:
Playing a lot of cards, going for a lot of runs listening to this playlist, spending so much time on Ebay looking for clothes (I just want something fun!), and making up for 9 weeks of no kitchen. One of my happiest moments when I got home was 2 hours in the kitchen, alone, with my tunes, making a ridiculously lavish Tuesday lunch. Bliss.

I miss my friends, libraries and the pub – but am also happy and blessed to be home. And I am seeing my best friend tomorrow! 
Good vibes yh!

3 comments

  1. Omgg I looove all of these reccs, thank you Katie!! I am defo going to check out 'On Earth We Are Briefly Gorgeous' Lmao same with Emily in Paris - it was so bad but yeah I'll probably binge watch the 2nd season. Totally feel you with the resentfulness over the work set over the Christmas break (they just can't let us rest??) but I'm glad you are finding ways to set your pace and feel bliss!! Have a wonderful break lovely!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh katie! I miss you! I'm glad you're having a restful xmas break, you deserve it! I watched emily in paris and unironically enjoyed it haha, the queens gambit was wonderful - I'm tempted to start the crown, at the very least to get my posh boy with a siggy ring fix seeing as I'm currently far far away from exeter lol.

    dalal <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Late merry christmas katie, I hope that the few days we have left is just as amazing. I've been hearing so much about Emily in Paris so I'm definitely tempted to coup up the few rest days I have to watch them. Wishing you the best for the rest of the hols <3

    ReplyDelete