reading, watching, listening

February is finally here. 
January felt interminable and dark: if lockdown was epitomised in 31 days, that would be it. 
But we made it through – the days are longer, the prospects brighter (?) and I've got some banging recs to make it all a little more bearable.




Listening:

For a left-wing counter to the mainstream media, I have been enjoying TyskySour – it's critical and interrogative, and offers an oft-ignored perspective. When the news is too depressing and I just want to fall asleep, I've been getting back into 'Nothing Much Happens' where, quite literally, nothing much happens. It's pretty calming and I generally manage to drift off before the podcast ends (although if I don't, it induces much angst).
In terms of music, for work Chilly Gonzales and Ibrahim Maalouf have been keeping me going, as has some more electronica-funky kinda stuff evidenced by my 'fun feisty funk to work to HT21' playlist. I've also been listening to a bizarre selection of 'dark academia' playlists situated in art galleries, baroque french worlds and rainy libraries. Watching what my friends listen to whilst they are working has also been providing entertainment.
For non-work, I made an upbeat 'for how many days am I stuck in this box?' playlist when I was isolating and, surprisingly, it's still providing some bops. I'm also enjoying some mellow evening sounds, featuring a lot of Michael Kiwanuka. 

Reading:

For once, I have manage to complete several books whilst in Oxford. It's been a nice break in longer evenings, and time away from a screen. We have a sick fiction section in the college library, so I have been taking advantage of that. 
I read Magpie Lane, a quasi-creepy inspector story set in Oxford, which I likely wouldn't have read if I didn't live here, but which was quite visceral. Convenience Store Woman was so odd, but lighthearted and warming, and super quick. It was somewhat reminiscent of Exciting Times/The New Me. I am currently reading This Brutal House which is beautiful and wrenching and I am frustrated at myself re how slowly it is being consumed. I don't want to lose the impact or the narrative by only getting through 10 pages a night. It's essentially a written version of Pose – it starts with Mothers of New York's queer scene protesting on the steps of the City Hall. After successive Children going missing, they take a silent stance. It is written in a sombre, poetic tone [I loved the chapter that was exclusively 'category is leather queen/founding fathers/fierce/Chanel/spring-summer realness], and I think is the perfect accompaniment to Pose. 

Watching:

This Brutal House is also a good side to It's A Sin (which I haven't finished, but have enjoyed but also critiqued (definitely too harshly) if you want a bit more queer media. I've also been adoring Great Pottery Throwdown, especially the week with the Naked Raku – yikes! It is so impressive and therapeutic.
Grackle is, as ever, offering immense sanity and stability and whenever I need cheering up, I whack on a vlog and feel content. Her attitude to food is also exemplary and refreshing, but without being a thing and it makes me wanna (allow myself to) consume all da snax.
On topic of food, I also really liked this vid from Helena Rose about the 'perfect' diet. I just generally love her content and narrative about eating etc. Good vibes all round. 
And finally for watching, this video critiquing Bridgerton for race and queer baiting. I hadn't really heard any criticism but had also thought of some quite profound issues (e.g. the unmentioned sexual assault by Daphne), so it was interesting to hear another perspective. 

Misc:

My electric steamer, because we are 00's yummy mummy's who just wanna cook pasta in our rooms; my lack of instagram and minimal desire to return to it; packed lunches in the rain/snow/sun with friends; trying new chocolatey snacks and feeling food freedom; pret chocolate, sea salt and almond butter cookies; tahini + yoghurt + lemon juice; finding the perfect diss reading; wine 

So there we go! 
Enjoy!


2 comments

  1. Ah I love this post and I absolutely adore Grackle! I didn't watch any of her videos during last term and binge watched the ones I'd missed at Christmas but have made a conscious effort to take time for myself, with a cup of tea and the latest Grackle video so far this year. I really need to get back into reading, it's so easy in the evenings to end up scrolling through tik tok now I'm back in Durham so am going to make an effort this week to chill with a book (and the Great Pottery Throwdown which I also equally adore). Sending you lots of love and a positive start to February xxx

    eleanorclaudie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site. report代写

    ReplyDelete