veja



lmao it gives me the same nerves that my dirty shoes are on my white bed sheets.

I was at a complete loss as to what to ask for for my birthday. The options were either an iron, kettle and tea towels for uni (enthralling!) or these. Obvs, I opted for the latter.
And I am in love.

I was introduced to Veja by the queen of ethical blogging (Eleanor) and have dreamed of this very pair ever since. They're more expensive than the usual trainers I would purchase but for obvious reasons, they are worth the investment.

(Side note: does anyone else feel the economic conflict with ethical clothing?? I know Nike/Adidas/most-shoe-brands are shit nd I know my position of economic privilege on a global scale means I shouldn't buy into it but I'm also funding my life on minimum wage jobs/student funds nd even £60 on trainers stings. For me its not even a case of less pieces/better quality because I don't even shop that much but £100+ on items just aint viable for more than a bday present– do you guys feel this? or do you think we should avoid fast/cheap fashion anyway? or is it case of buy ethically or buy nothing?? tell me!!!)

Veja is a french shoe brand that focusses on producing ethical and environmentally friendly trainers. They are made of wild rubber and organic cotton by producers who receive a fair wage (cotton farmers are paid twice the market rate par example) and are unionised to ensure economic stability. They adhere to fair-trade principles, are environmental conscious and are just bossing it.

And ethical benefits, environmental advantages and social responsibility aside (I would be lying if I said all my fashion choices are were guided by ethical principles), they are a peng pair of trainers. I adore the retro vibe that totally makes me feel like I am running around a 80's French gymnase (give me a white tennis skirt and I'll be off) and chunky white trainers are so my thing.  I think these are actually mens and there were so many I could have chosen (I'm obsessed with the white and black/white versions) but they've already received so many compliments and intrigue.
I've paired them with a bretton striped t-shirt dress a few times (this one) and fuck do I enjoy the Parisian vibes it exudes (allowing me to vicariously live my French alter-ego).

As is always the case, they'll not remain white for long and will accidentally be worn on a night out but the memories those marks will evoke will increase their sentimental value. I hope to wear them until they fall apart at the seams, and still continue to patch them back together.

10 comments

  1. I feel like I am really new to the idea of ethical fashion. I've never really been someone to buy into trends and try to only buy stuff that I need or really like. I also try and keep my clothes for as long as possible and just style them differently so they feel fresh. I would love it if I could know that all my clothes/fashion items were ethically made, but I do agree that if something is very expensive then its almost a bit painful buying it even if you know you're doing a good thing.

    Louise x
    http://ribbitsaidthefrogcalledtoad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally the same, I wear clothes I've had for 3,4,5 years because if I love it I don't see the point in ditching it?! For sure, especially when you're on a student budget, but I suppose you've got to weigh up your privilege and the livelihood of the manufacturers too!! xo

      Delete
  2. Ahh I love them (and thanks for the mention!) I totally feel you with the conflict between economics and ethical fashion but I basically try and just buy charity shop or depop or save up for a one off piece, like these trainers. But I have changed the way I buy other things to compensate for it, I rarely buy books any more and opt for a library instead but sometimes I do just want to buy a book to keep! xx

    Eleanorclaudie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with them, totally inspired by you ;)
      For some reason it didnt even cross my mind that charity shops/thrifting was an option to solve my ethical/economic conundrum?! haha, I for sure will be exploring more second hand options though because I don't really have an excuse...
      That's so true, and sharing books/libraries actually save you so much money too! I've done book swaps with a few of my friends because I didnt want to spend money and it actually opens you up to so many different options! Xx

      Delete
  3. Oooo these are so nice Katie, am obsessed!! I feel ya with the whole ethical fashion thing, for me I try do my bit by trying to shop second hand as often as possible. It's still an affordable way to be ethical but then sometimes I do cave in and buy stuff from the high street. I think it's about knowing a balance and knowing that the little things you chose to do make a big difference, rather than zoning in on the things you may not do. Hope you had a fab birthday!x

    Lucy Jane | Infinity of Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy!!! For sure, reading back on my post now I'm like duh??? there are things called charity shops??? but I guess it is still a conundrum when considering purchases. That's also so true, even just a small action like opting for a more ethical pair of shoes does make a difference somewhere

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a fab bday!! ObsessED with these shoes omg, they're so retro and they have a thicker sole/platform and I really appreciate that in shoe. Oh I really like that stripe top you linked too, its so cute I want it. I think shoes are so hard to buy ethically, because I always levitate towards Reebok or Nike; that being said I have a pair of Superga's and I think they're ethical? Gonna put Veja's on my xmas list this year though!! xo
    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARENT THEY just beautiful?!! AH Lexie, you need that t-shirt dress, I've lived in it all summer nd its so easy and chic. I'm the same, I love superga's I've been pining after a pair for so long!! x

      Delete
  5. my dude do I feel you about the conflict between money and ethical shopping. I'm obsessed with these shoes (and your anklet) I want a new pair- they are definitely worth the investment and I'm glad you asked for them rather than asking for a kettle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH its conflicting but also agree with everyone above that second hand/vintage/thrift is for sure the way forward...definitely enjoying them more than I would a kettle lol xox

      Delete