days full and days empty

Oh wow, what a week! I haven't cried nearly as much this week (just once when I was saw the cows running across the field and I broke because the world was so beautiful but so empty) and I think have felt a little more positive and at ease with this chaos, if that is possible.
I've done a lot of really lovely things, spoken to a lot of people I really love and had quite a few realisations.

Things I've done:
spent a lot of hours in my dressing gown, a lot of shoulder yoga, painted a bit, collaged a lot, looked at the sunset, knitted in the garden, knitted in bed, knitted with my sister whilst we watched princess diaries, drank a lot of gin, wrote a few letters, worked a bit, felt a love for learning, made crispy cakes, read in the greenhouse, spent a lot of evenings on FaceTime, watched all of Feel Good in a day, felt lucky, felt sad, felt angry, felt nothing. Tried to take a lot of photos to remember it all.


People I've loved:
My mum, for letting me cry everyday, even when she was scared, for telling me her worries, for trying to make it as good as it can be.
My sister, for finally being happy and free, an unexpected consequence of all this.
My friends. Friends who drink wine/gin/tea on FaceTime, friends who colour on FaceTime, friends who check up on you because you disappeared for a few hours. Friends who ask how your other friends are, who remember small details about you. Where an hour and a half can disappear and you've still got more to say. I am blessed. One day i'll write a post about them all. Or a novel.
My new puppy, for the laughs and the light.
Myself. Because the world is scary, and even though I am overwhelmingly lucky, it can still be scary.


Realisations I've had:

That my life was perfect. That I sort of knew it. That it was blissful and I was endlessly happy and very loved. The temporary disappearance of this is heartbreaking, but it is reassuring to know I felt it, and can feel it.

That parts of this are important. That it teaches that nothing is certain, no tomorrow guaranteed, and that it never has been. That in some bizarre ways it might bring the refresh society needed.

That it'll make me appreciate the mundane and the beauty of my life in ways never conceived. Take time to enjoy tea with friends in the evenings, or  phone call with my mum, or a walk alone whenever I feel I need to shake it out.

That my life and the world I inhibit, no matter how much I try to deny it, is dripping with privilege. That I had no idea how much was at my disposal, how free I was, and now how much these things mean to me.

An appreciation of some small but very special things. The sacred rituals I have lost in this chaos. The moment when I sit at my desk, with my coffee ready to be plunged and my cereal, for half an hour of blissful contentment that I save just for me. For sundays of long phone calls home, and repeated stories from my mum, and then my dad. For sunrise walks, to breathe in the freshness, or rush to the library, or stamp out a bad mood, but to end feeling open and free. The 'goodnights' to my friends as we pile into our individual rooms, knowing we'll be reunited in the morning.

I think perhaps I have become more aware, more in tune. Have noticed moments when I've thought 'fuck, that really was quite nice', and how I miss those little things.

That being able to hug my friends in the pub and sit in my seat in the library again and fuckin' go for a walk at any time of day just because I can, will be the best feeling. But that in some ways its worth the wait.

Wow. Some feelings, and some beautiful moments and some really scary ones. I'm not trying to downplay the severity of this moment, or create pity for myself, I'm just trying to get through it, recognising my privilege but letting myself feel at the same time. What a tricky world to navigate.

What have you been doing to keep yourselves occupied/been thinking in these long days??

8 comments

  1. This is one of my favorite posts by far. It is the most honestly beautiful and real post. I am so happy that you were inspired to write it. Inspiration has been hard in the past few days here but I am hanging in there. Moments where I get to catch up with all my friends that blog have been making me feel more at home. It's like I am 16 again without many friends and places to go.

    Take care! And if you'd like to chat my instagram is @wellnesswithvan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you so much!! Inspiration sure does come and go, but I love those moments when you just want to write. Oh yes, I'm really feeling that too–its comforting isnt it? Lots of love xx

      Delete
  2. bro I love you!! I'm so happy you have half an hour to yourself, and I love the image of you plunging your coffee in the morning to have with your cereal before work. love u so much bitch i cant wait to have u in my arms again!! This was a lovely post- and just know even if you think your life was perfect before don't invalidate any of the negative feelings u had. you are one inspiring slut x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i rlly love u, can't wait to hug u in a pub soon <333

      Delete
  3. Katie this was such a lovely post and one that is very relatable. I think the privilege thing has definitely been the one thing I've taken from this so far. We may compare ourself to others but we have that privilege of freedom in our everyday lives and I am constantly going to remember that, both now and when we are no longer in lockdown. Your days seem plentiful and I am liking the sound of the knitting. As a result of the weather, I have been spending an inordinate amount of time reading a lot (a lot) of books which has been a lovely distraction xxx

    eleanorclaudie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you Eleanor - literally! we honestly had no idea how free we were. I honestly have been sooo impressed with how much you're reading, its amazing!!!!! lots of love and stay safe xx

      Delete
  4. Katie I adore this post, isn't it crazy how we're all going through this together but in different countries. I read somewhere "I feel like mother nature has sent us all to our rooms To think about what we've done." and in a way I feel like it's so true. Even though it's scary, frustrating at the same time it's given us time to really wonder how we were living and let us appreciate all the small things. I hope you're staying well & safe xx

    https://sputniksweetheartn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh thank u Nadi!! literally!! in some way its quite a reassuring feeling, to know we're all in it together!!! ohh i love that, its so true - its definitely important reflection in a lot of ways ! xx

      Delete