quarantine diary #5 - freedom

The 15th January was a sort of hurdle in my mind, a day I had only had to reach, and everything would dissipate. First, this date was consumed by my extended essay, 6,000 words of primary sources and secondary arguments that Oxford relishes in saving for the Christmas vac. 
Then, it became overwhelmed by the day I could breathe fresh air again. Dramatic, but also quasi-true. 
Being out was nice, and it was freeing, and I got gyoza with a friend, and ate brownies, and did a million errands for others who, in the chaos of my corona, I had also caused to isolate.




But it was also a bit anti climatic, and still a bit empty, and I wonder will this world ever not feel empty.
I've done all the silly hobbies I can think of to pass the time, I've thought all the thoughts, done all the yoga, ran, read, slept, thought about applying for British Council next year then abandoned it. I have spent so many hours thinking about expectations: expectations of self, expectations of others, whether too high demands are simply a reflection of the love you deserve, or an inherent disappointment. Whether this contradiction and conflict can ever marry. And half my friends can't come back, the other half are still isolating. It's a silent limbo that no longer feels it has the permission to be.
 
So I am stuck, sort of just waiting for the time to pass until I start my dissertation (for which my tutor kindly reminded us, we could have 'half a day off' after handing in our extended essays, and then we had to get back on it) and until my friends are free, and maybe until this all blows over.
Will it ever blow over?
It's so hard not to be pessimistic when it's dark and it's cold and it's January; libraries are closing, my working spaces are becoming more confined by the day, the world seems both simultaneously quieter and scarier, and I'm still here, thinking about what I'm doing amongst it all.

But hey, come Monday I'll be lost in a blur of 7th century female portraits, and wondering why the fuck I picked such an obscurely niche topic. 
And I'll run, and I'll walk and I'll drink wine, and probably lament on here a little more about lost youth and unstable prospects.
It'll be okay. 

2 comments

  1. yes indeeeeed - it will be okay. Glad you are feeling well and got to see friends and eat some good food! good luck with your niche diss, it sounds amazing!! sending strength and optimism for the rest of this month!
    Zoe xo
    delicate--musings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something oddly comforting about reading this post and knowing someone is passing through their day with the same circulating thoughts. I guess all we can do is try and believe that it will all be ok~

    ReplyDelete